As much as I talk about chocolate being my favorite food, anything lemon has to be a close 2nd. As a child, I always hated lemons! I wanted all the chocolaty sweet stuff that wasn't tart or sour. I never liked sour patch kids, lemonheads, or anything crazy like that. But if you handed me some chocolate, I'd be set. Of course we all know that taste changes with age so luckily lemon has become one of the flavors I love most. This gluten-free lemon cookie recipe is super easy, dairy free, and delicious too. It's by far the best lemon cookie recipe I've ever tried so I'm sure it'll be one of your favorites too.
- 2 3/4 cups gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Sprinkles, optional
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg, lemon extract and juice. Gradually blend in dry ingredients.
- Roll dough into 1-1/2" inch balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Slightly flatten the top of each cookie with the bottom of a glass that has been dipped in sugar.
- Refrigerate the cookies for 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 7-8 minutes. To keep the cookies soft, they should not be browned. Allow the cookies to sit on the baking sheet for 3 minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk the powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle the glaze on the cooled cookies.
- Allow the glaze to set, then store the cookies in an airtight container. Enjoy!
What type of cookie is your favorite? Comment below!