- Wild Rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup wild rice (see Note), rinsed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms (cremini, white button, shiitake), sliced
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 thin slices prosciutto (about 2 ounces), chopped
Makes: 6 Servings
Active Time: 45 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour
- To prepare wild rice: Combine water, rice and salt in a small heavy saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until the rice is tender with a slight bite, 40 to 50 minutes. Drain; you’ll have about 1 1/2 cups cooked rice.
- To prepare frittata: About 30 minutes after you start cooking the rice, beat eggs and egg whites in a large bowl with parsley, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and nutmeg.
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Heat oil in a 10-inch ovenproof skillet, preferably cast-iron, over medium heat. Add onion and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in rosemary, then add mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until they release their liquid and the pan is dry, 6 to 8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in the rice.
- Pour the reserved egg mixture evenly over the rice and vegetables. Partially cover and cook until set around the edges, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan and prosciutto. Place the pan under broiler and broil until the eggs are set and the top is nicely browned, about 2 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.